How often do you feel “they just don’t get it”?
We entrepreneurs often experience a lonely, sometimes frustrating path while trying to establish and grow our venture.
In this post I’ll expand upon that thought and provide direction to shift in a way to help you succeed.
Many people who strike out on their own do exactly that.
Strike out on their own!
Early on the path is similar for most. You may work in relative solitude as you create the systems, processes, products, services, experiences, and events that ultimately form your contribution to the world.
But that’s not really what I am talking about here. I’m referring to our mindset. Our attitude. Our world view and the beliefs and feelings that go with it.
As entrepreneurs or freelancers…
- We do not believe in the restriction of working 9-5.
- We like answering to ourselves.
- We embrace the ability to work when we need to, work on what’s important, and to play when we want to as well.
- The path of freedom is more important than the security of a job.
- We understand that jobs are not very secure anyway.
- We also understand the concept of delayed gratification and accept that we’ll need to live “lean” as we bootstrap our business growth.
- We believe a great many more things as entrepreneurs.
- Perhaps most uniquely defining of all are our fears, our walls, our self talk, and our ways of addressing them.
Unfortunately our world view is very much in contradiction to 95% of western society who have a job. This creates a challenge, results in frustration, and can alienate us from many others in our world including our spouse, friends, and many others. This is especially challenging when time and money are in conflict.
Not being able to effectively talk to someone who “gets it” can be frustrating and disillusioning. It can add to your fears, your walls, and your self talk and have stalling impact on your entrepreneurial development and growth.
“The greatest predictor of success and happiness in times of challenge is your social support network.” Shawn Achor
When your current social support network just doesn’t get it you’ve got a problem. Is the answer to ditch your spouse, family, or friends who just don’t get it? No, but the answer can start with these 4 steps.
- Take a moment and step into their shoes to understand how they see the world, what their fears are, what their needs are.
- Then help these people understand your world view and why it is so important to you.
- Create agreement on how you and each of these people can accept your differences AND support one another to grow, succeed, and be happy…TOGETHER!
- Finally, expand your network of support to include more like visioned entrepreneurs. Having someone who naturally gets it can lift a tremendous weight from your shoulders when it is needed most.
Here are two things I’ve be doing lately that are working very well.
- I have made individual agreements with 3 separate entrepreneurs to connect regularly, share what we’re up to, be accountable to one another, support each other and sometimes be a shoulder to lean on or an ear to listen to stresses and other fears before they become too big! Mutually beneficial on many levels.
- I have also begun to attend an entrepreneurial meet up group where the focus is less on networking and selling and more on connecting, conversation, and support.
“Every man becomes, to a certain degree, what the people he generally converses with are.” Lord Philip Dormer
Very early in the new year I will be launching an opportunity for you to have such support. An opportunity to be among people who “get it”! An opportunity to grow your business while collaborating with, supporting, and receiving support from a small and committed group of people very much like you.
Stay tuned and I’ll share more soon. Until then,
“Life is meant to be embraced, enjoyed and fully lived, not merely endured!”
To your success,
Be an advocate of Entrepreneurial Freedom and the global movement of conscious creators. Please share this with anyone you feel would enjoy the content. I appreciate your support in growing our community of entrepreneurs!